Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1st

Los Angeles was more receptive to me than I was to it.
Yet, still very hard to assimilate to.
I say this as if it happened decades, years, months, even weeks ago.
It didn't.
A few days have passed.
Maybe ten or so.
Give or take 3 days.
I am just beginning to like it here.
But I still despise some of the trends,
and the fact that I now own a car.
I like the vibrancy of the streets and proximity to the beach.
I love the cool winds that enter the windows every morning
and continue on throughout the day until evening.
I get so excited to come home every night to a welcome feeling of love!
There is no longer a pull from some other place,
nor is there a need for my presence to be elsewhere.
Everything is as it should be.
I feel peaceful when I drift off to sleep at night.
But I terribly miss my simple life.
The one that consisted of bicycles and homemade hummus,
of nightly family style dinners and tiny faces greeting me every morning,
of beautiful sunsets and heat beyond belief,
of daily frustrations and accomplishments,
of heartbreaking stories and the overwhelming desire to do good.
My life was changed forever due to those things
and I will never see through rose colored glasses again.
But I do have a partner to walk with me during life's trials now.
I like the dinosaur sheets that we sleep on.
I like that we watch cookie monster on youtube.
I like that we listen to paul simon records.
I like that we ride bikes to the farmer's market.
I like that we eat chocolate cake at Ikea.
I like us. Actually, I love us! Everything about us.
Next up: an income that actually pays for everything,
A life that is infused with my values of past and present,
A faith that is truly God's and my creation.

No comments: