Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's about time I said something real

Hello, hello from the desk I share with two other people! Everyday I get off of work at 4:30, but I wait for Eileen, who finishes at 5, so that we can bike home together. One of my fears: that my vocabulary is decreasing...I don't have time to read as much so I feel like I'm gaining/retaining knowledge at a much slower rate than when I was in school. Do I like it here? Yes and no. I like that I'm doing something different and learning about reality through the people I see on a daily basis. The heat doesn't bother me too much. As a matter of fact, I'd rather be hot than be cold. My body is just taking a beating due to my job and the commute. 10 miles a day in the furnace of Phoenix is taking a toll. Also, my immune system can't quite keep up with all the illnesses that are present here at the shelter. There are multiple children out everyday because they are some sort of sick. I've caught at least one or two things and I'm just sick! Plus, I have new tasks everyday. Some things are the same, but the name of the game is fluidity and flexibility here. If I don't bend, then I definitely will break. Pray that I don't lose my optimism because I feel as if it might be fleeting! And here of all places, I need to try and smile as often as possible. Time to go! Another day, another dollar?

1 comment:

Eyawn said...

Thanks for sharing Juliette! I hope you feel better physically and are enlightened mentally. And in terms of learning: the truly educated never graduate! Read, write, discuss, blog (when you can find the time, of course)!