Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm sorry you feel like I'm leaving you or that I don't want to be near you or with you. It's not that at all. Not to offend you, but it has nothing to do with you. I'm not thinking about what I'm leaving or what I'm leaving behind. I'm not trying to escape anything. I'm focused on where I'm going, what's ahead. Where do you think my life is? In Madera? No, I left that life 4 years ago with one little yes on a form that said Berkeley. In Berkeley? Not for much longer. What do I have keeping me here? A relationship? No. Friends? They're graduating too. My scholastic adventure is coming to a close. I'm not through learning, but I have soaked in what Berkeley had to offer like a sponge. Now I'm ready to apply it. To witness first hand what I've only read about. I'm creating my life as I go along. I'm not trying to fulfill any aspirations that I had when I was a child. Those were selfish dreams. Built on nothing but vanity. I wanted fame, not actually a cure. I wanted people to know I existed and I wanted it to be for a worthwhile cause. Yes I wanted to help, but I also wanted to be acknowledged. More than I wanted to help. Tell me, is that something to aspire to? Is that something to be proud of? No, no it is not. I want to learn to be a part of a community. Berkeley has taught me, that as special and unique of an individual I am, I will always be part of a community. People are not made to accomplish things by themselves. People should not seek glory so that everyone will know their name. People are here for one another. To serve and be served. To play equal roles, and recognize that they can't "save the world" without help. Where's the humility in doing anything for the glory? Make me not famous. Make me willing to do what is needed. To go where I should. To learn, to witness, to serve, to be served. Make me humble. Make me honest. Make me loving.

No comments: